Including bathing time in your baby’s routine is an activity that can be done shortly after childbirth. Some paediatricians usually suggest that you delay your child’s first bath until they are a few days old. The reason why they suggest this is because when babies are born, they are usually borne in Vernix; Candles on baby skin to protect them from environmental germs.
During the shipment of hospitals, nurses will clean the blood and the amniotic fluid after giving birth to a baby. However, a mother still has the option to tell them not to remove excess Vernix.
After you bring home a newborn baby, you can choose to give them a sponge bath, then wear fresh diapers and baby sleep. If you choose to give them a sponge bath, you want to clean the head, diaper area and public body. This is the safest method for bathing your baby until the navel cable falls.
After the cord of the navel has fallen, you can start bathing the baby by soaking it with a shallow shower.
Requirements when bathing a baby
- Paddings for hard surfaces, such as towels or blankets
- A bowl of warm water (make sure it’s not hot)
- Baby towel
- Light baby soap
- Clean diaper
Steps involved when bathing a baby
After you collect this requirement, follow the steps below.
- Select a hot room (around 23.8⁰c or 75⁰f) to bathe your baby. Then remove the diapers and clothes and wrap them with a dry towel.
- Place the baby on a flat surface, such as a changing table, floor or bed. When it’s from the ground, save one hand on them or use a safety rope to make sure they don’t fall.
- One part at one time, open a towel and just expose the places where you intend to wash.
- Start by washing his face and the top of his head. Dip clean was lap in warm water and clean the eyes, chin, neck fold, and outer ears. In this step, use warm water only without soap to avoid the soap into the mouth or his eyes.
- Place a drop or two of soap into the water. Dip the cloth in the warm water of soap and squeeze.
- Use soapy water to clean the diaper area and its whole body. Here, you also want to clean the genital area and under the arm. However, if circumcised, don’t clean the penis to keep the wound dry, unless it is recommended by a paediatrician.
- Dry the baby and make sure to dry between the skin folds. Then use fresh diapers and baby sleep. So that they keep warm when they dry out, you can use a towel with a build hood.
If a newborn is circumcised, make sure you comply with the guidelines that your baby’s doctor recommends that the wound dry and clean until healed. Usually, wounds take about a week to recover.